Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Rebirth of the Bontrager...well sorta

The Culprit!
Photobucket


With all the excitement of going to Cali for the BikeJournal Reunion, I almost, but not really, forgot about rebuilding the Bontrager so I can get the beloved Trek back on the road. I figured since Bontrager/DT made such a great hub, I would opt for a much lighter American Classic Micro instead.

Enter the Savior!
Photobucket


Photobucket


At a whopping 65 grams, this hub is surprisingly strong. I know because I have two other wheel sets made by American Classic; two 28 holers that have held up just fine over the many thousands of miles I've put on them. The only drawback to this approach was that I had to buy new spokes and the DT Aero's that I need aren't cheap. I think the added expense, however, will be well worth the money, time and effort it will take to get this puppy back on the road. Time will tell. Guess it's time to blow the dust of the spoke wrench and get crankin'. Pictures when I get it done.

Some Mighty Expensive Spokes!
Photobucket

No comments: